The opening of the Hygienic School in 1880 is celebrated on this date, August 24. This was a school for Black opened during American Reconstruction.
Started in Steelton, Pennsylvania the Hygienic School received its name from its location on Hygienic Hill, at Bailey Street between Adams and Ridge Streets. Steelton newspaper editor Peter Sullivan Blackwell conceived of the school as a way to provide a quality education for the African American community’s children and give employment for Black schoolteachers, who could not teach in white schools. [Continue reading at the African American Registry.]